We're committed to protecting and respecting the privacy of our website visitors. The following policy details how we collect and treat your personal information.
Who are we?
Vagabond Voices is an independent Glasgow-based publisher of literary titles in English and translation. For more information about us, please visit our Contact page.
What information do we collect?
We may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal data:
- information about how you use our website: this includes your IP address, geographical location, browser and device types, referral source, the length of your visit and the pages you've viewed. We access this information via SquareSpace's in-built Analytics as well as via Google Analytics. Our purpose in monitoring this information is to gauge reception of our site – particularly when we've changed something on it (for example, done a redesign), or added new content. Knowing which content most interests people helps us tailor our output to our readers' tastes.
- information relating to any transactions between you and us made on this website or through our online payment processor, Stripe. This includes your name, address and the product(s) you wish to purchase. The information remains in our secure databases on Squarespace and Stripe. We do not use this information for anything other than to process orders (including payments and refunds).
- Squarespace Ads. We partner with third party publishers, advertising networks and service providers to manage our ads on other sites. Our third party partners may set cookies on your device or browser to gather information about your activities on the Services and other sites you visit, in order to provide you with Squarespace ads. For example, if you visit Squarespace and also use a social media platform, you may see a Squarespace ad in your social media newsfeed or timeline.
- Opting Out. You can set your browser to not accept cookies, but this may limit your ability to use the Services. We currently don’t respond to DNT:1 signals from browsers visiting our Services. You can also opt out of receiving interest-based ads from certain ad networks here (or if located in the European Union, here).
Squarespace uses a variety of cookies, to see a complete list of them, please click here. During your visit to our site we may use both "session" and "persistent" cookies. Session cookies do things like storing the state of your cart while you're paying in Stripe. These are deleted once your payment has been processed (i.e. once your "session" is closed). Persistent cookies are longer-lasting – for example, they help our site recognise a return visitor and prevent repeat pop-up messages. At some point they will expire on their own, but it's more likely that you'll end up deleting them yourself if you regularly choose to delete cookies whilst clearing your cache.
How we use your personal data
Any personal data you submit on this website will be used for the purposes specified in this policy and/or on other relevant pages of this site.
We may use your personal information to do the following things:
- send you goods either purchased or subscribed to via our website (i.e. books, newsletter)
- process payments and/or refunds, and send you receipts
- we process online payments through Stripe. We share information with Stripe solely in order to process payments made on our website.
- send you email notifications if you've requested them
- provide third parties such as Google Analytics with anonymous statistical information so that they may produce reports about our website usage
- gauge user behaviour through cookies, including but not limited to:
- gauging interest in our website content through tracking page visits and time spent on pages
- evaluating the efficacy of social media referrals through analytics reports
- address any enquiries or complaints made by or about you in relation to our website
- if you comment on our blog posts, the name you provide will be published and by posting a comment you accept this
We do not provide user information to third parties for any purposes other than to process payments (Stripe) and to produce statistical reports that help us better tailor our content to our readers' interests (Google Analytics, Squarespace Analytics). We do not provide user information to any third parties for marketing purposes.
If you subscribe to our newsletter, we will store your email address and name (if you've provided it) on MailChimp, which also tracks user data – for example, how many people have opened any given newsletter, how many people have clicked on links in our newsletter etc. If you no longer wish to receive our newsletter, you can easily unsubscribe by clicking the "unsubscribe" link in the newsletter itself, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- to the extent that the law requires us to do so
- in connection with active or prospective legal proceedings
- in order to establish, exercise or defence our legal rights
- if we sell our business, any information we still hold about you will be passed along with our assets
Except as disclosed in this policy, we will not provide your information to third parties.
Security of your personal data
It is important to acknowledge that data transmission over the Internet can never be 100% secure. As such, we are unable to guarantee that information you send us online will never be compromised. However, we do guarantee that we'll take every precaution within our power to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
We store your details on a secure server and use SSL-encrypted emails. If you ever receive a suspicious email from us, please get in touch with us directly rather than by replying to the suspicious email. We will never ask you for your credit card details via email, for example.
You have a right to request that we send you any personal information that we hold about you. If you subscribe to our newsletter, you can unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of our newsletter or by getting in touch with us directly via email or phone.
Third party websites
If you wish to update or correct any of the personal information that we hold about you, please contact us.
Vagabond Voices is the data controller of this website.